a little learning is a dangerous thing ...

Sunday, August 26, 2007

From Packer to Backpacker! / Budget flight really does mean 'budget flight'

August 25 – From Packer to Backpacker!

There, I said it. Mom, your witty observation has officially made it onto my very first blog posting. After a summer of Bomag-wrassling (ie. driving the packer for Germag) I can retire from my Mobage in good faith. All those work hours are going to be completely worth it.
So, I passed airport security without a single hassle; one last crane-the-neck view of my entourage/posse of family who so thoughtfully accompanied me to the airport (despite the late departure hour) and I was off to my gate. Not a single tear (on anyone’s part) as I left either, which was an unexpected first!

All I could think while walking the long jaunt to my plane was-- I’m so ready for this. I am SO READY for this. All that remains is to actually board.

Unfortunately, my laptop won’t connect to the airport’s hotspot, so this will be posted a couple days late... more to come as more happens!

I’m off.

August 26 – Budget flight really does mean ‘budget flight’

Air Transat’s a lovely airline with a very modern vibe (and I suspect a new graphic design team), but it’s definitely for the budget traveller. It was a tight fit for the last 7 hours. However, I’m always grateful for low student prices; plus, they played Shrek the Third for the in-flight movie. I actually stayed awake to watch it. Unfortunately, I stayed awake for the rest of the flight too, kind of fitfully dozing and waking to the slightest noise. I know for a fact, though, that I’ll get better at power-napping on planes, trains, and buses ;). Even now, on the train from Frankfurt to Berlin, I’m forcing myself to stay awake to avoid jetlag.

After much confusion and wandering, Bryan (who was waiting as promised by the Arrivals gate, after an ordeal of his own- concerning a delayed flight and a lengthy stopover at Heathrow) and I managed to find the train station, activate our Eurail passes, and jump on the next train to Berlin. We were too late for a reservation though, so after mistakenly sitting in first class for a few minutes, we managed to find two seats in second class together, only to have Bryan moved by a traveller with a REAL reservation.

The German countryside is absolutely beautiful. The landscape reminds us a lot of Canada actually, but the scenery’s more rustic; there are many, many white houses with red roofs and picturesque barns. Even the token railway graffiti is quaint.

In a few hours, we will hopefully arrive at the right hostel and will have a good solid sleep before exploring the B-dot tomorrow! Some pictures to come as well!

P.S. The German language is currently indecipherable to us. We’re limited to danke and the knowledge that first class cars have a large number 1 on their doors, rather than a 2.

1 comment:

Lianne said...

Hey Genelle! I'm having a glass of boxed wine with your mom. Mmmmm! Your trip sounds fabulous! When I get home I will read your every word and keep track of your wonderful adventure!!! You go Girl! Take care of your big brother. Lianne