a little learning is a dangerous thing ...

Saturday, March 8, 2008

Tick, tock, tick tock...

The countdown to Mom, Grandma, and Rosemary continues!

Dad and I have been talking all morning while trying to track down these three as they cross the Atlantic. We've just seen that their flight landed in Amsterdam, but because of the massive snowstorm I'm told has happened/is imminent, they're 3 hours late. Well, I guess if you're detained, Amsterdam is the place to be-- even if it's only the airport. It could be worse... you could be stuck at Heathrow. In comparison, Schiphol Airport sells cheese and fake tulips-- much more exciting than boring old London.

I was really happy to hand in my last essay of the mid-semester on Thursday. It was odd, because immediately after, my zeal for watching the entire series of House online lessened substantially. I still love it, but find that my mid-essay habit of three episodes a day has diminished to about 1. And my YouTube intake is a bit less, too... hm...interesting...

Thursday night Johanna, Jean and I went to see Dance Show, a recital for all the dance societies to show what they've learned all this year. It was a good time. You could see the absolute glee on the dancers' faces while they perform :).

Last night I met up with Tasha, newly arrived this semester from Australia, and Jenna, newly arrived from Penn State, to see the Musical Theatre Society's production of Fame. I'm not helping out with this one so it was nice to see it from an audience member's perspective. Again, MT did themselves justice... what a fantastic production. Crystal and our friend PK from Backstage were working it so we met up with them after the show to hear all about the exclusive backstage goings-on ;).


The four of us going on the Whirlwind European Trip Part II: Eastern Boogaloo during the Easter holidays have been furiously planning and booking various things so we can jet off March 17th worry-free. This one is slightly more ambitious; we're planning to hit 8 countries in a little over two weeks. Here's the low-down:

Budapest
Vienna
Bern/Interlaken
Prague
Krakow
Berlin
Copenhagen
Stockholm

We use the term 'Eastern' loosely in this context, as Germany and Sweden don't necessarily identify themselves with Hungary, for instance. Francesca and Johanna are actually skipping Switzerland and going straight to Munich for three days, so I'm meeting Jean in Zurich as she comes in from Italy. I'm also quite excited to go back to Berlin again. I absoutely loved it the first time. It's all coming up so fast, I can't believe it.


(A picture Johanna took on the beach at Zandvoort aan Zee. Love it.)

So, I'm spending my afternoon researching for my Gazette travel article and doing laundry while waiting for Mom to call. We were planning on doing London, York, and Scarborough this week, but perhaps we'll crowbar Canterbury and Dover in, too. The south of England is supposed to be just as lovely as the North... can't wait :).

I'll post again when the ladies arrive with an update on their journey so far! Talk to you all soon!

P.S. Here's my final (snif) Gazette music article of '07-08. THANK YOU to the Gazette A&E staff for being so enthusiastic and accommodating this year, especially despite the long distance. It's been a really cool experience!

No comments: