a little learning is a dangerous thing ...

Monday, July 21, 2008

(Not Quite) Singin' in the Rain

"There's nothing lonelier than a construction worker in the rain".

This occurred to me this morning as I huddled on my packer and watched my co-workers sadly don ponchos and slowly turn on their wiper blades at the beginning of a sudden downpour. Us road crew were lucky though; Pete told me later that he and the pipe crew shivered all morning in the rain as they shoveled a trench out, fixing a broken pipe down the highway. I at least made the most of my time spent watching the dump trucks get stuck in the mud-- I listened to Sigur Ros, stared forlornly at the surrounding trees, and thought about ways to wear my hair for the upcoming weddings.

Speaking of weddings! It feels like it's wedding season year-round now as Ashley & Richard get ready for their October ceremony and Bryan & Lisa begin the prep for theirs in April. We had Ashley's shower for the Lynch side a week ago (where Aunt Marlene, Aunt Pam, and Nana took up hosting duties) and have her friends' one next weekend, which will be awesome. Lisa continues to tick boxes off her wedding list while Bryan's in BC working, and we take every opportunity to go back to the dress shop to try on wedding and bridesmaid dresses ;).

In the spirit of these nuptial plans, Mom and I went to see marriage-themed Mamma Mia! on Sunday, along with a few other mother and daughter pairs, some scattered couples, and a quintet of white-haired ladies in the second row. In essence, it was the crowd that The Dark Knight isn't quite aimed at; but as Mom whispered to me right before the glittery opening scene rolled: "People just want to be happy!" So true. And in this tough choice, it's kind of win-win. Either you get to see a harrowing performance by Heath Ledger in an instant classic, or you get to see Pierce Brosnan self-consciously talk-singing "S.O.S.".



Ribbing aside though: I loved MM in all its sugary glory. And Colin Firth's reliable turn as the Embarrassed-But-Still-Charmingly-Handsome-Englishman simply means that we get to see more of Colin Firth, a chance for which I'd gladly pay seven dollars at a matinee. Always.

I love you, Mr. Darcy.

On another, more interesting note, my cousin Gerard is currently working in Shanghai and experiencing a huge range of new sights, sounds, and most intriguingly, tastes. Here's a link to his awesome blog, Feed Them On Peaches... it sounds like a crazy, fun, taxing experience, and his writings are well worth a read :).

Talk to you all soon! xx

No comments: