a little learning is a dangerous thing ...

Friday, October 26, 2007

Wherefore art mine time-management skills?

The work, it comes.


It was inevitable, I guess, that eventually I’d have to do some sort of academic work. Except now, I’m starting to feel like I’m being buried under a pile of essays. When am I supposed to have time to watch episodes of House when I have to write about 20th century feminist poetry??


This past week has been mostly spent psyching myself up to hide away and write for a week non-stop. This strategy has worked for me in the past; I just hope it still does here. Thankfully, only one out of three of the essays (although they must all be handed in) actually count towards my grade.


Last Saturday, my friend Marcie and I had a great time watching the England vs. South Africa championship rugby match at an Australian bar called Walkabout. We had an awesome time, mostly because we were able to watch it in a private area that another exchange student named Chris had the brilliant idea of booking. It was only 50 pounds and, having invited 75 of his closest friends to join him, he may even have made a profit! J . I got to meet a friend of Marcie’s from Seattle named Megan, too:


It was a great atmosphere, even though England lost. There were no raucous celebrations afterwards, sadly, although we spotted a few joyous South Africans here and there as we walked home.


Last night Matt and I teamed up to go see a band called The Touch at the HiFi Club here in Leeds. We were looking to take in a good show, but this group really blew us away...we had such an amazing time. We also got to meet the band afterwards, mostly due to Matt’s ability to talk to ANYONE. He also randomly introduced himself (and me) to one of the opening bands, which was fantastic, as I was able to interview them for my column.


I don’t think I’ve mentioned this before, but I’m writing a series of music reviews from Leeds for The Gazette, Western’s student newspaper. I’m thrilled to say that my very first article EVER was just published on Wednesday. Not wanting to put the cart before the horse, I waited until the article actually appeared before talking about it...but I’m so excited that it’s happening, and on a bi-weekly basis as well! The Gazette has an online version, and you can click here to read my article, if you so desire!


Tomorrow we’re going to see a production of The History Boys at the Grand and on Sunday, we Canadians are whipping up some Nanaimo bars to compete in Bodington’s annual International Cooking Cook-off. I know we’ll win. Who can resist the chocolatey custard-y goodness of a Nanaimo bar?? We’ll just have to trust Wikipedia’s recipe, that’s all. And also sabotage the Italians.


p.s. I tried to post pictures today, but for some reason Blogger's not allowing it. I'll be sure to post them next time!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Gennelle, is it this The Touch? http://skreemr.com/link.jsp?id=61534455575560