a little learning is a dangerous thing ...

Friday, November 2, 2007

A week in snapshots

So it's been a busy week here as most of the students have had to buckle down for Leeds' equivalent of midterms. I know I've been staring at a computer screen even more than usual, so taking a break to check out a production of The History Boys at the Grand Theatre on Saturday was more than welcome. Here's the playbill:


My friend Crystal from DC, another English Lit major, and I had a great time, although we were so high up in the rafters that we had to squint at a nearby TV screen to watch the many video interludes of the play. Alan Bennett, the playwright, actually went to grammar school in Leeds, and the play has a lot to do with his educational upbringing here in the North. The story's all about a class of Yorkshire boys trying to get into Oxford, which went over well with the crowd here ;).



Halloween on Wednesday was a quieter affair than I expected. It's not as a big a deal here as at home, but they do tend to dress more "scary" than we do-- it's all about the fake blood, monsters, and the boo! factor in general. However, as at most universities, much time was spent at the pub celebrating... not by me, of course! By everyone else, though :).



Here are the pictures of the Rugby World Cup night that wouldn't work last time. That's Marcie on the left, my Barcelona buddy for next week, and Megan from Seattle, and myself, showing our red & white loyalty ... to England this time ;) :



Annnd here's a picture of the Bodington fields that I took, just because it was a beautiful day. It's so determined to rain here, it often rains even when the sun is shining, like here:


Although today has been gorgeous so far- warm and sunny. Feels like global warming though... which is scary in itself!
Tonight, myself, Johanna and our friend Marie-Eve (from Quebec, incidentally) are going out to Fruity Disco at the Student Union. Fruity's quickly becoming a must-go night of the week... it's a good-natured night out. We're rewarding ourselves for a week spent in the library and steeling ourselves for the next! :) It's been great getting to know Marie-Eve, too; we all made dinner at her (really tiny and cute!) flat on Friday and spoke a little French... I haven't had a conversation in French in a long time, and I'd forgotten how comforting it can be! I'm a bit rusty, but I can understand it just fine, thankfully!
So I've heard that Canada's hasn't changed its clocks back an hour yet-- we have here, and I must say, I'm taking comfort in the fact that, for a week, we were all an hour closer together :D.
I'll talk to you all soon!

No comments: