a little learning is a dangerous thing ...

Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Hot, hot heat

The last few days have been, as I predicted, quite intense.


As the day approached for my flight back to England, I could feel the nervousness coming. I wasn't nervous to travel, or leave Canada again per se, but the knowledge that I had left two major final essays to the very last minute without taking one stab at them was gradually sinking my enthusiasm to return. 'Seeing my room again' really did mean seeing my room, and only my room, for the next four days.


To be fair, I did spend about 8 hours in the library all told when I got back. It's the only place where I'm not distracted by cars driving by or playing with the heat dials in my room in an attempt to make some of the ice melt on my window.


Oh, yeah, my room was barely warmer than an icicle when I got in. It was cold before, but with Leeds going through a cold snap (we had snow for a day!) I'm now the third person on the floor to have to ask for a portable heater in order to be able to get out of bed in the morning. And I'm not even exaggerating, sadly.


I've had nothing to complain about at Bodington since I've been here, and I still really don't. It was great (after I tentatively asked if they could teach me how to use the heater) that the maintenance guys acted so quickly and brought me one. The manager actually visited my room, and noted that the heating was 'abysmal'.


Well, that's the Canadian in me, I guess :). We are taught to withstand the cold, with the help of things like Columbia parkas, snowblowers, and heated seats.


So with much effort and suppression of temptation to watch videos on YouTube, the essays got finished and handed in yesterday, and I'm free to study for my last exam on Monday. After that, we're thinking of heading to Ireland for a few days before classes begin again on the 21st. I can't wait-- Ireland is one of the top places I want to visit. Should be great.


Hope everyone's settling back into the work and school routine just fine back home, and I'll talk to you soon!

No comments: