a little learning is a dangerous thing ...

Tuesday, February 12, 2008

The Sound of ... What?

Oh, the transcendance of music!

Saturday night I had the pleasure of attending the 2008 NME Awards Tour at the good ol’ Refectory, and seeing live four very different up and coming British indie bands. The names in and of themselves are entertaining: The Ting Tings, Does It Offend You, Yeah?, Joe Lean and the Jing Jang Jong, and the headliners, Yorkshire favourites The Cribs. But the music turned out to be pretty good, too.


The first three bands were enthusiastic (that's Joe Lean above), but The Cribs stole the show with their intense performance… the band is made up of three brothers, two of them twins, and they had the kids almost delirious with excitement. Myself, Crystal, and Jean managed to get right of up front and had an amazing view of Ryan Jarman, my favourite Jarman of all:


I got kicked in the head a couple of times by wayward crowd surfers and needed all weekend to get my hearing back, but it was all worth it. Most definitely. Especially since Johnny Marr from The Smiths showed up at the end! If any of you are music lovers, you know how exciting that is! :)

The day before, Jean and I went to Fruity to celebrate our friend Nick’s birthday, which was also great fun. I think after this, Fruity and I are going to take a break, though. You can have too much of a good thing, right? ;)

I was left a bit on my own all weekend as my hallmates took a trip to London together, but I made sure to keep busy while they were gone. Also, Johanna and I had a late Shrove Tuesday on Sunday night and cooked real, live pancakes for ourselves. We had to use that Jakeman’s syrup I brought back somehow! We also combined bananas, chocolate chips, and blueberries together in the pancakes, which was a thing of beauty.

Johanna, Jean and I leave for Amsterdam Thursday night, for which we are extremely excited, so I’ll have a massive post for you when I return on Monday morning-- although we’re cutting our recovery time short, as it’s Johanna’s birthday celebration that night and it’s gonna be a looonnng one! But we’re all looking forward to it, should be amazing. Oh, and Matt & Erin are going to Amsterdam this weekend as well, completely coincidentally, so we’ll make sure to spend time with them while we’re in the famous debauched city- although I can predict our excursions will be more of the Anne Frank Museum-visiting variety, rather than the Red Light District kind ;).

Talk to you soon!

p.s. Thank you for all of the kind comments about the video! We had great fun making it; here's hoping there's a sequel from our trip through Eastern Europe!

No comments: