a little learning is a dangerous thing ...

Friday, September 7, 2007

Let's Take a Trip Back In Time-- to 3 Days Ago



Bryan and I in front of and beside Tower Bridge in London!


After an uncertain first two days here in Leeds, I've finally gotten my temporary room here at Charles Morris Hall! I can sit on my bed and look out on the ULeeds campus, which is beautiful, and finally take a breath. However, I must say THANK YOU, THANK YOU to Matt & Erin for letting Bryan and I stay with them once we got here. It's so comforting to see friendly faces after two weeks of strangers. That's not to say we didn't meet great people abroad-- we definitely did. But there's something about friends from home.

Last night, we went out to dinner at the pub across the street from Matt & Erin's house, and we had some traditional British food! Bangers and mash for Erin and I, and Hunter's chicken for Bryan and Matt... along with some Carling, you can't say no, although it's not quite the famous British roast beef ;). And I must say, it's a myth that Brits only eat heavy food like that. You're more likely to find sushi or organic vegetables than your typical Yorkshire pudding. Good food though... mmm....

Speaking of friends: I met up with the Meet & Greet Team today at the train station, whose job it is to meet up with new students and bring them to their accommodation. They're really nice people who help set you up- and I met some other exchange students newly arrived as well. One of them is a Montrealer named Johanna; she and I took a walk downtown to check out the crazy, extensive shopping available here. We had been kind of wondering out loud whether we'd find a dollar store or its equivalent, and sure enough-- we discovered a Poundland! Awesome. So having picked up bedding etc. today, we're feeling pretty good.

That's about it for today-- here are some pictures from London that I finally have time to post!

Piccadilly Circus, Westminster Abbey, and the Clock Tower (with Big Ben inside;))

more to come!

1 comment: