a little learning is a dangerous thing ...

Monday, September 10, 2007

The Magnificance of Permanence

And ... Bodington Hall is awesome.

I'm not quite sure how else to put it. I just moved in today, and I was in my room for a total of about 20 minutes before going back to campus, but I must say that I was impressed. Bod makes Saugeen look like... well, a prison, although it kind of looked like that anyway!

The Bodington complex is surrounded by soccer and rugby fields, making it a veritable country club compared to the temporary accommodation we've been in here on campus. Not that Charlie Mo was terrible, but it was a bit temporary, I guess. Now I'm in the place I can call home! When I got to my house (Clapham House, if you're interested) I sort of clambered up the stairs with all of my luggage, and standing at the top peering down at me was a delighted German girl. I can't really put it any other way-- she was definitely delighted to have human company, as she told me, because she'd been the only one in the house for a while. So we chatted for a bit, and I have a new German friend named Katarina as a result!

It was an epic journey this morning to actually get to Bodington, as it was the maiden voyage for the van moving 10 of us and our luggage to four different locations, and the Welcome Team had to sort of learn how to organize it along the way. We eventually made it through to Bod (just myself and Fabio, my new Italian friend) after about two hours, and that was when I discovered my fantastic single room.

I promise to post pictures from around campus and my residence SOON, immediately after the madness of Welcome Week has subsided a bit... Internet connectivity is still awkward to come by, but I'll definitely get on that. Perhaps my hard-earned skills of narrative description cultivated during my half of an English degree can help make up for it!

Also, I got a mobile phone today, and as soon as I figure out how to use it, I'll email my new number to everyone. I'm going to have Skype, but I also have a great international rate so calling me is a good option.

I'll update in a couple days... we're going to the Global Cafe tonight, hopefully to meet many more students from all over the world! Talk to you all soon!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow - you didn't expect a single room did you? Sounds like you're feeling pretty comfortable around the campus already!
so... Fabio ... tell us about it!
Glad to hear it's going well and give us a call when you can.

Anonymous said...

whoops -that was from MOm and Dad