a little learning is a dangerous thing ...

Sunday, April 6, 2008

Home at last, plus Budapest!

I think one of the best feelings in the entire world is walking into your front door after a time away. My own space, my own things: I missed my room!

BUT-- what an amazing trip. The stats? We covered 9 countries in 20 days (spending over 50 hours on trains) and stayed in 6 hostels and 2 private homes. We used 8 different currencies and heard 7 different native languages, learning how to say "please", "thank you", and "I'm lost" in each. And even with all the train mix-ups and bumps in the road, the four of us had the time of our lives. From Budapest to Bratislava, and Austria to Auschwitz, we stuck together and somehow made it from southern Europe to Scandinavia. 

I kept a journal throughout my trip, and I'm going to post my entries over the next few days along with some of my favourite pictures from each city. Hope you enjoy reading my thoughts on our travels... I'd love to hear any comments you may have as time goes on! :)

Also, here is the link to the last article I wrote for the Gazette this year about my exchange experience, if you'd like to read it! (For its original layout, click on the .pdf file on the righthand bar)

_________________________________

Budapest

18-19 March

Budapest is a city of extremes. Johanna, Francesca and I keep coming across things, like when we arrived at the sketchiest building in the world, which was opened by the oldest woman in the world, and were presented with the tiniest key in the world. The next day, after crossing the scariest bridge in the world, we discovered Budapest has the cheapest food in the world (I later took this back--ed.). It's tempting while there to buy a ton of different things because it's so dirt cheap. Tonight we ate dinner, albeit a simple one-- a loaf of bread and some Flora-- for less than 2 euros total. We were so proud of ourselves, we didn't even mind that it was the second day and we'd already run so low on forints that we debated to buy spread or fruit. Spread won.




The city itself is beautiful, full of massive, imposing buildings surrounded by a folky vibe. Hungarians have been occupied so many times that they're rejoicing in their democracy-- their Parliament is by far the biggest and most ornate edifice in the city.




Less well-known are the city's extensive underground caves. Sensing an interesting experience, we headed to Budapest Labyrinths to explore the ancient passageways below Buda Castle. Hundreds of metres of dark, drippy, surprisingly dimly lit paths wind together underground, accentuated by 20th century statues who stare gloomily at passers-by from the shadows. Even though we were following a group of schoolkids, all three of us were scared. We even tried one room that was completely dark--but resorted to taking flash pictures to cheat and get out faster!



Compared to touristy medieval Buda, its sister city Pest is a chic sophisticate. It's full of Western shopping chains and the people and cars look relatively affluent. The only thing that sticks out are the buildings. Not all of them are as well kept up as they would be further west. But it must be difficult-- Hungarians have been gradually rebuilding their city since its ruin during WWII and the subsequent Soviet occupation.



The Danube, on the other hand, is as beautiful as ever.

No comments: