a little learning is a dangerous thing ...

Thursday, April 17, 2008

Mood: Excited

Maybe it's the recent three week dash through Europe, or the re-starting of school again, but this trip to Iceland that we leave on tomorrow has snuck up on me. It's been wavering in the distance since around February, so close yet so far-- and now it's here! I've wanted to go to Iceland for a long time, but this vague plan floating around in the back of my mind really sparked into life during Christmas, when Aunt Marlene and I got to talking about dream travel plans. We both wanted to go a lot, and the tourism package Marlene had was helping fuel the fire. Iceland seems exotic somehow, even in the context of Europe, although it's really not that far-- try a two hour flight from London for about as much as it costs to get from Toronto to Vancouver. Yet, mentioning that I'm going usually draws raised eyebrows, a surprised smile, and a "How cool is that?!"

Although Iceland itself will be amazing, the most prominent thing in my mind has been that Pete is coming too! He's finished his exams and starting the summer with a bang by flying to Reykjavik via London, and then coming to Leeds with me before we head to Paris to meet up with Bryan and Lisa. Between Iceland and France, Pete wants to do some touring around the British Isles as well; I foresee some quick sprints to Dublin, Edinburgh, and maybe Belfast :).

So 'tis a time of exciting change. As Pete, my friend Ellen, and I prepare to head to the land of fire and ice with soundtracks of Bjork and Sigur Ros running through our heads, even the thought of my 4 am taxi ride tomorrow can't dampen my spirits tonight.

Have a wonderful weekend!

1 comment:

Alex said...

I am so envious and wish that I could go again too! The air, as I recall, smells great. Clean. No place has ever made me feel so free and so human.

Bon voyage! :)