a little learning is a dangerous thing ...

Sunday, April 13, 2008

"It's oh so quiet..."

Before I tell you about Berlin, just an update on what I've been doing the last week or so: ....eh, not much. Between halfheartedly flipping through poetry I've already read and planning meals I can make in a microwave, it's been a quiet week. It's been awesome seeing everyone come back from holidays though, and exchanging travel stories with them: I had tea with Crystal a few days ago and got to hear all about her Easter trip to Japan and Spain. As well, my friends Christian, Amy and Jenna just got back from Morocco, which I hear was incredible. So many interesting places to see!! As for me, my friend Ellen and I are leaving for Iceland on Friday, and are beyond excited. Nothing but good things are ever said about this country (well, except that it's more expensive than Dublin, and that's saying something) and as Ellen says, we might just not come back ;).

Last night Johanna and I met up with Matt at the Leeds College of Music to watch Erin perform in The Magic Flute. It was so well done, and Erin was incredible! It's the first time I've ever seen her perform, and I can't believe it took me so long. She's studying for her Masters in Flute Performance and she definitely showed off her talent tonight!

_________________________________________________________

Berlin, 30 March


We got into Berlin on the night train after enjoying our first couchette, and went on the Free Tour right at 11 am. I'd been on this one before but with a new guide, there was more info and a different spin on the facts...we had a good time on it. Later, after visiting an outdoor exhibit at the Berlin Wall called The Topography of Terror, we made the fateful decision to do our first ever NewEurope Pub Crawl. Wow-- with all kinds of new people to meet and drink specials at each bar, our night went rather quickly. I think I had too much fun. But it was cool to see another side of Berlin, and despite the ensuing headache, I still love the city, maybe even more so than before.


Before the pub crawl though, we had dinner at an Australian restaurant in the Sony Center, the massive shopping/entertainment complex in Potsdamer Platz. I remember the center from last time with Bryan, but this time its vapid consumerism really hit me. There was a film premiere tonight though, which was interesting-- The Red Baron, about the WWI fighter pilot. We didn't see any actors though. We were too anxious to get to the hostel and then the pub crawl.


31 March

'Twas a quiet day in Berlin as we recovered from the night before and actually, the previous two weeks. It's so good to have a day to do not much on a long trip like ours. I mostly hung out in the hostel and got some food while the others split up to visit museums, shop, and walk around. It was beautiful weather, warm and clear, and we all felt refreshed at the end of the day. Tomorrow Jean flies home though, and we're going to miss her so much! I've never laughed so hard and so often as during the last week that Jean's been with us :).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Once you go to Iceland, you won't come back! ;) It was so hard for me to leave Reykjavik. It stays with you more than other places, well, for me at least! An meditation that I wrote in my senior research about how I even miss the rain:

I miss the way it rains in Reykjavík. In the morning when you wake up, you can barely hear the whispering cadence it makes on the room window. It is a mere trickle, more wind than rain caressing the surface, really. I hate the way the rain falls in the Midwest. The drops of water are the size of my thumb print and they fall hard to the Earth. Reykjavík is often misty--the rain gently embraces your body. It is graceful and comforting. I wish that the feeling could last forever. If you refrain from thinking too much, you can hear the wind whistle in time to the water droplets.


I will be anxious to hear that you think! Wish I could come...